Need some simple and easy home decor? Need a gift for someone who already has everything? Need a gift that is made from the heart? These DIY 2×4 Home Decor pieces are just the thing! You can create them with any color, any text or picture, or ANY style you want!
DIY 2X4 Wood Decor- Simple and Creative
I recently wanted to give a small gift to a friend to show them a little appreciation for their friendship. I didn’t want to buy something generic because I wanted it to come from my heart. I came up with the idea that I wanted to share a special quote, but I wasn’t sure how to “display” it. As I was walking through my garage, I spotted some scrap 2×4’s. I realized that using 2×4 blocks would be the perfect way to be creative using a material I already had, and make something really cute and meaningful to give to my friend. Also, I wouldn’t have to spend a dime and that’s ALWAYS a bonus! In just about an hour, I had a beautiful piece that brought a HUGE smile to my friend’s face when I gave it to her. It was something she could use as home decor as well so she can always be reminded of how special she is to me! It was a great success!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Making these DIY 2X4 Home Decor pieces is SIMPLE! You can be creative in every way to create the exact piece you want. The possibilities are endless. You can make great gifts for friends, teachers, colleagues, kids, home decor, ….. ANYTHING! Have fun and be creative!
Here’s what you need:
- wood blocks cut from a 2×4 (I used my portable table saw to cut them into 5″ tall pieces. You can make them whatever size you want.)
- craft paint (any color you choose)
- craft, construction, or printer paper (if you choose)
- tacky glue (if necessary)
- inkjet or laser printer (if you choose)
- paint brushes
- Modge Podge
Here’s what you do:
- Carefully cut blocks to the size you want with a table saw. You can use a hand saw as well.
- Use sandpaper to smooth out any rough edges or stray pieces.
- Paint the block any color you choose with craft paint. Allow to dry for about an hour, or until it no longer tacky.
- “Decorate” by either printing a picture or quote, or paint on a design. Use glue to affix the paper if you are using it. Allow to dry.
- Coat the decorated side with a thin layer of Modge Podge to “seal” it. It will dry CLEAR! If you want to to cover the entire block, that’s OK too! It adds a nice finish to the block. Allow it to dry thoroughly.
Done! It is that simple! Be ready to enjoy someone’s smile when you gift this to them. Or, Enjoy it yourself as decor in your own home!
You also might like: