If you had asked me 2 years ago if I would make most of my own skin and bodycare products, I would have said “HECK NO!” I had this preconception that making my own products would be expensive, time consuming, and require science-like precision and expertise. WRONG! In my recent quest to rid my life of as many products that contain synthetic and harmful chemicals as possible, I have created some really amazing products that work for me, better than most store-bought products out there. My newest creation is this DIY Natural Moisturizing Shampoo Scented with Rosemary, Lavender, and Tea Tree Oil.
Most days of the week, you will find me doing something that will get me sweaty. Whether running, jumping at dance class, swimming, or hiking, I will get dirty and need to shower at least once a day. That means A LOT of hair washing! Commercial shampoo- even the natural stuff- was really doing a number on my hair! Stripping it of all the moisture, leaving it tangled, and leaving it brittle and split- I needed to use a REALLY moisturizing shampoo for my locks! Voila! This shampoo works WONDERS for keeping things soft, smooth, and frizz-free. The best part it is- IT TAKES MINUTES TO MAKE….
This post may contain affiliate links.
Here’s what you need:
- 1/4 cup organic canned light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup Castile Soap (I use Dr. Bronners because it is PURE. I used peppermint flavor, but you can use ANY)
- 1/2 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
- 1/2 teaspoon jojoba oil
- 1 tsp vegetable glycerin (adds some body and a foamy characteristic to the shampoo)
- 8 drops of Rosemary, 8 drops of Lavender, 4 -6 drops Tea Tree Young Living Essential Oils ( I ONLY use these because they are steam distilled and cold pressed without the use of harmful chemicals in production. They are one of the only companies that has a Seed to Seal guarantee, meaning at least a 28 step process that ensures the purity of the oils. You can visit any of the YL farms around the world to see the process and where the oils you purchase come from! That’s really important to me! You can order them HERE )
The ingredients and why they work:
Rosemary Oil is extremely high in antioxidants- protecting, smoothing, and repairing hair shafts to promote shine. Also, rosemary oil’s potency stimulates the scalp and helps to promote health for your hair. This plant in the mint family has an AMAZING woodsy scent!
Lavender Oil is one of the most moisturizing oils out there, gentle enough to smooth and soften the hair shaft without stripping it of necessary oils. Lavender oil is a circulatory stimulant promoting a healthy scalp free of itching and irritation.
Tea Tree Oil is antioxidant rich, a strong antiseptic, and a circulatory stimulant promoting scalp health. A healthy scalp promotes healthy hair.
Vitamin E and Jojoba Oil are rich moisturizers allowing hair to feel soft and smooth.
Castile Soap is an olive oil and lye based soap that is gentle and will clean hair without stripping it of necessary oils and minerals.
Vegetable Glycerin is a natural humectant which seals in the moisture on the hair shaft leaving hair soft, moisturized, and smooth.
Here’s what you do:
- Mix all ingredients in a bottle and shake. It is that easy!
Squirt a small amount, about a 1″ diameter, into your hands. Later in wet hair. Follow your wash up with your favorite conditioner. (Hmmm, I bet get working on that recipe soon!) 🙂
You also might like: