Has the cold winter weather made your lips pout with dryness or cracking? Do they need some TLC? Well, this winter, my lips are SCREAMING for some extra love! The weather here in NY has been cold and dry, constantly sucking moisture out of my lips. Making this DIY Natural Lemon Sugar Lip Scrub has saved my smackers, restoring them to a healthy, smooth, and happy state. It is one of the best things I did to make my mouth happy! I need to share this recipe with you….
This post may contain affiliate links.
Making an all natural sugar lip scrub is super easy. You probably already have all the ingredients in your house, and if not- you can get them extremely easily. With only a few ingredients, you can really wake your lips up and make them shine. (makes about 4 oz)
Here’s what you need:
- 1 teaspoon organic coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon of food grade oil that could be olive oil, grape seed oil, or anything that is safe to ingest.
- 1/2 teaspoon dietary vitamin E oil or the contents of a capsule (make sure it is labeled SAFE for ingestion!)
- Five drops of Young Living Essential Oils. You can use any flavor you want. I bury my scrubs with flavors like peppermint, lemon grass, Rosemary, lavender, and even grapefruit. I like keeping it tasty ( I ONLY use these as they are 100% pure and safe to use. They are steam distilled or cold pressed, allowing no synthetic chemicals to be used on my skin or to be ingested! Order them HERE)
- glass jars or small cosmetic jars
Here’s what you do:
- Allow the coconut oil to soften to room temperature, or slightly above.
- Cut in the sugar using a similar to a technique that you would use to cut butter in a recipe. Basically, this means “smoosh” the coconut oil into the sugar until the coconut oil is broken up and about the size of the sugar grains. It will remain quite chunky but make sure you incorporate the two well.
- Add in that essential oils and additional oil of your choice and continue to incorporate using the same cut-in technique. Adjust the consistency to meet your preference for texture. This is where you can make it a bit dryer or moisture, based on your liking.
- Place in an airtight container to store. It should last a few months. However, I promise it is so awesome- it won’t even last that long.
***If you are using a citrus essential oil, do not store it in a plastic container as the citrus oil will degrade the petrochemicals in the plastic. Store in a glass container such as a ball jar or use a stainless steel container!
You also might like: