Mike and I spend a lot of time in my backyard. We live on a great wooded piece of property, and I think it’s quite beautiful. We have a hot tub which we spend a lot of time in too. One problem…behind my hot tub is this ugly fence. For years I’ve been saying that I need to do something to make it look better. I wanted to put some kind of planter on the fence to keep the natural feel that my backyard has. We had a long piece of old gutter that my husband was about to throw away. It was then that a light bulb went off in my head. I could repurpose the old piece of gutter into a planter, and make my hot tub fence looks superb!
Here’s what we did to make the planters :
- First we measured how long of a piece of gutter was needed to mount on the 2 x 4 on the fence.
- With some tin snips and then a hacksaw, we cut the gutter to size.
- Attach the end caps on either end of the open gutter. There is a special crimping tool to do this, but we just crimped it closed with needle nosed pliers because that’s the tool we have.
- We spray painted the gutters green to match the fence color.
- Next, my husband helped me mount the gutter onto the fence by screwing it into the 2 x 4 that was near the top of the fence. The gutter had brackets that you put the screw through.
- Once attached, we drilled a few holes in the bottom of the gutter so the water can drain out. I will put a piece of cheesecloth on the inside of the gutter over the hole to avoid the sediment from going out of the hole.
- I then filled the gutters with potting soil, and put in my plants!
I am so pleased with how this project came out! I wanted something simple, minimal, yet beautiful to look at while using the hot tub and on my deck! The whole project cost about $20. That is including the spray paint, potting soil, and the plants (which I scored for $1 each at my local hardware store!)
You might also like: