Sweater Weather is back again in NY! That means another soup was made on the stove! This Vegetable Barley Soup is the perfect thing to keep you full, warm, and satisfied. It was ridiculously easy to make and is sure to please even the meat-eaters out there. The barley adds the best flavor. The veggies add tons of nutrition.
This Post May Contain Affiliate Links
Here’s what you need:
- 1/2 of an onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, pressed (This is the best tool ever!)
- olive oil, for sautèing
- 32oz of organic vegetable broth
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 crown of broccoli, broken into bite-sized florets
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- dash of cayenne pepper powder
- 2 cups of water
- salt and pepper to taste
Here’s what you do:
- In a large soup pot, saute the onion and garlic until they are translucent.
- Add in the carrots, and sautè for another minute or two so they begin to get soft.
- Add the vegetable broth and all of the other ingredients.
- Bring the contents to a boil. Then, lower the heat and allow the soup to simmer for about 30 minutes, or until all vegetables are soft.
Enjoy with toasted, crusty bread!