Baba Ganoush : Mediterranean Eggplant Dip
Baba Ganoush is one of my favorite dishes to eat. Smoky, creamy, healthy, and easy to make! When I was in Turkey a few years ago, I ordered it every chance I got. I was SO fortunate that I was able to learn from a woman a befriended there how to make it. I have been enjoying it ever since. I am in love with the nutty, rich flavor this dip boasts. It uses only a few simple ingredients and is really healthy. I like to eat it with pita chips or slices! Crunchy veggies such as cucumbers and carrots are great to dip too. Ahhhhhhh…. brings me back to Anatolia……
This May Contain Affiliate Links
Here’s what you need:
- 1 medium-sized eggplant
- 3 tablespoons of tahini (sesame paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- juice of a freshly-squeezed lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley or cilantro leaves
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat a grill to a medium-hot temperature. I use a gas grill. I want the eggplant to get slightly charred by the flames.
- Prick the eggplant with a knife in several places and place on the grill rack 4 to 5 inches from the fire.
- Grill, turning frequently, until the skin blackens and blisters and the skin caves in. This will be after about 15-20 minutes. It doesn’t look all that pretty, but the charred, smoky flavor of the eggplant is a key factor in the dish.
- Remove from the grill and let cool slightly. When it is cool enough to touch, peel off and discard the skin. The flesh should come off very easily. I put it right into my Ninja Kitchen System food blender.
- Add the tahini, the garlic, the lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pulse to puree to the consistency you desire. I like it to be rustic, which means blended, but not silky smooth.
- Season with salt, then taste and add more tahini and/or lemon juice, if needed.
- Place in a serving bowl. Sprinkle a small amount of smoked paprika, and garnish with flat-leaf parsley if desired.
Serve with pita, vegetables, or eat it on its own! You will not be disappointed!
You also might like: