Spring season is here and that means working on getting back into shape. Are you in the market for some high-fiber, protein-packed, easy meals like I am? These Quinoa Veggie Burgers are about as healthy as you can get. They also are about as simple as it gets to make. Vegetarians and meat eaters alike well enjoy these as they are full of flavor.
This post may contain affiliate links.
What is quinoa!?!?!? Quinoa seeds contain essential amino acids such as lysine, as well as calcium, phosphorus, and iron. It is very high in protein, and low- carb. SO good!
Here’s what you need:
- 1 14oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup quick–cooking oats
- 1/4 cup Pearl barley
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup multicolored quinoa
- 1 vegetarian bouillon cube
- 1 1/2 cup water (to cook the quinoa in)
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 cup carrots, shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed with a garlic press
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook the quinoa by boiling 1 1/2 cup water and bouillon cube together with the quinoa. This takes about five minutes. Once cooked, set aside
- The chick peas, oats, pearl barley, and cheddar cheese in a food processor or blender, and pulse until left very chunky.
- In a large bowl, combine the processed mixture and the quinoa.
- Add in the carrots, parsley, garlic, cumin, paprika, olive oil, and oregano.
- Add in one beaten egg to this mixture and stir well. Use salt and pepper to taste.
- Form the mixture into patties.
- Bake the patties on a greased cookie sheet in an oven at 375°F for about 15 to 20 minutes. Be sure to flip the patties about halfway through so each side gets browned.
- This step is optional, but I like to pan-fry the patties in a well greased skillet for about a minute on each side. This adds a crispy texture to the patties.
Serve on a bun with some greens, avocado, and tomato. Add hummus, ketchup, or mustard to the bun for added flavor. Enjoy being healthy. 🙂
You might also like: