My husband and I are big fish eaters! We are suckers for fish and chips, but those calories add up! I came up with a way to have all the goodness of the fried fish taste, but without the guilt. I actually like this Crispy Baked Cod so much better than the fried version because it is not soggy or greasy. You can actually taste the fish!!!!This recipe is SUPER easy to make, and takes no time at all!
This Post May Contain Affiliate Links
Here’s what you need:
- 2 lbs of fresh cod (you can use any firm white fish- haddock, flounder, etc…)
- about 2 cups of Italian seasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- 1-2 eggs, whisked
- 1-2 cups flour
- olive oil sprayed from a MISTO
- salt and pepper to taste
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat the oven to 375º F.
- Rinse the cod and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Cut the filets if necessary so that they are all 1/2-3/4 ” thick. The more uniform the filet’s width, the more uniform the cooking.
- Set up the flour, egg, and panko in separate, consecutive bowls.
- Spray a cookie sheet with olive oil.
- Start with one filet. Coat the fillet with flour. Then coat the filet in egg. Then coat the fillet in the panko breadcrumbs. Place on the cookie sheet. Repeat the process with all of the filets.
- Once finished coating each filet, Spray the tops of them with another quick spray of olive oil from the misto.
- Bake the filets in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- To make the fillets crispy, turn the broiler on hi and allow the tops of the filets to brown for about 5 minutes. WATCH the fillets while under the broiler to prevent burning!
- Garnish the fillets with lemon wedges, and serve with the condiment of your choice- tartar sauce, cocktail sauce, or malt vinegar!
I PROMISE, you will find it almost impossible to tell the difference between this baked version, and the fried (minus the greasiness) !