I have been on a DIY Skincare kick for the past few months. I am loving how easy and cost effective it is to make my own products, not to mention how much healthier it is to use products that are not laden with synthetic and harmful chemicals. This DIY toothpaste is all that, and more! I used simple ingredients to make the paste, and used Young Living Essential Oils for the flavoring. Not only does my toothpaste taste great, but due to the oils, it has healing and restorative properties as well! (I ONLY use Young Living Oils because these are the only oils that I trust are safe to ingest.) Make your mouth happy, and make your own!
This May Include Affiliate Links
Here’s what you need to make about 4oz of paste:
- ¼ cup of coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide
- 8 drops of Young Living Essential Oils– Peppermint or Thieves are great choices for flavors. Both of these oils help support mouth health, teeth health, and freshen breath.
Here’s what you do:
- In a double boiler, soften the coconut oil. You can also leave the coconut oil in a bowl in the hot sun. You need the temperature to be over 76 degrees F for the coconut oil to soften. Mix in the essential oil and hydrogen peroxide.
- Put the baking soda in a bowl.
- Gradually add the softened coconut oil mixture to the baking soda to form a paste. Add less coconut oil if you reach the consistency you want before you dump it all in, or add more baking soda if you need it to dry up a bit.
- Store the paste in a container that does not let sunlight in. This will help preserve the properties of the hydrogen peroxide. (I stored mine in a dark drawer so I used a clear glass container.)
- Use a Popsicle stick or a spoon to scoop out and spread the toothpaste on your toothbrush.
That’s it!!!! Smile, and show off those healthy, sparkling, pearly whites!