Earlier this week, I decided to make a DIY sachet! I thought it would be a great idea to make a sachet for my PJ drawer so that I can add aromatherapy to my relaxation routine! I used Lavender Young Living Essential Oil for my sachet. The calming properties and the scent are amazing. You can of course choose to use any other oil to scent your project; Stress Away, Purification, and Joy are great options! This May Contain Affiliate Links
Here’s what you need:
1. Two 4″ squares of light colored material. Try to use 100% cotton if possible so it can absorb the scent. If not, don’t worry.
2. 3/4 cup of rice
3. Two 4 1/2″ wide by 6″ tall pieces of fabric. This can be the pattern or texture of your choice.
4. Sewing machine or thread and needle.
5. Ribbon to decorate and close the outer layer.
6. Pinking Shears
Here’s what you do:
1. In a bowl, mix the rice with 6-8 drops of YL Essential Oil. Stir coat well and allow the rice to dry.
2. Cut a 4′ wide by 8″ tall piece out of a light colored fabric. Fold the piece in half and sew down the sides.
3. Sew 3 sides together (the bottom and 2 sides) using a 1/4 seam allowance. Flip the pouch you have now made so that the seams are now inside and iron.
4. When the rice mixture is dry, fill the pouch with the rice.
5. Fold the open seam of the pouch down about 1/4 of an inch and then fold that down another 1/4 of an inch again. Use a wide stitch to see this side closed. ( A wide stitch can be easily opened and to refresh the scent when needed in the future. )
6. Repeat step 3 with the larger two pieces of fabric. Flip and iron.
7. Use pinking shears to cut the top( the open sides) of the outer bag.
8. Put the rice pouch inside the outer bag, and tie closed with ribbon of your choice.
****If you don’t want to, or can’t sew, you can substitute all the sewing by using fusible iron tape.
Enjoy the scent, and relax on a mellow morning………..