The autumn season will be here soon in NY! The nights are already getting cooler, and the nights are getting a bit longer. When the weather requires a sweater, I love to warm things up by diving into The Best Seafood Chowder! Chock full of seafood, spices, and potatoes, this soup will fill you up with tasty goodness. What’s even better, it is SO simple to make and only takes a short amount of time to prepare. Hearty and healthy, this is a MUST try!
This Post May Contain Affiliate Links
This recipe for The Best Seafood Chowder reminds me of the chunky, hearty, creamy chowders you get in Maine and the upper northeast. Those can be quite heavy though. Without losing that taste and texture, this chowder is a bit healthier than those much more cream-heavy ones.
Here’s what you need:
- 4-5 yellow potatoes (about 1 lb), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 16 oz clam juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, plus some fresh for garnish
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1- 1 1/2 lbs white fish, shrimp, salmon, clams, calamari, etc…. Any mixture you prefer….. I like to buy the frozen seafood mixture at my local fish market. Most supermarkets have a frozen blend as well!
Here’s what you do:
- In a large soup pan. add the clam juice, potatoes, bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper,paprika, and cayenne together and stir. The liquid should cover the potatoes. If not, add enough water to cover them.
- Bring the pot to a simmer and allow to cook for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are slightly soft.
- In a separate pot, heat the half-and-half JUST until it begins to get frothy. DO NOT allow it to boil as it will curdle.
- Put all the seafood into the large pot (with potatoes) and stir.
- Add in the heated half-and-half and the parsley to the big pot as well.
- Allow the soup to simmer but NOT begin to boil until the fish is cooked for about 8-10 minutes.
- Shut off the heat, and allow the soup to rest for about 30 minutes. THis will allow the flavors to blend.
- Heat back up to desired temperature and serve with some toasted bread or some soup crackers.
Enjoy! You will LOVE this soup!
You might also like: