In my household, there is a lot of athletic activity. If it isn’t my ultra-marathon, rock-climbing, crazy hiker husband’s athletics, it is my hot yoga, hiking, or West African dancing that creates the need for hydration and electrolyte replenishment. Wanting to mix up our options and keep them healthy, I decided to make this healthy DIY Natural “Gatorade” Electrolyte Drink. This all natural recipe will keep you moving in perfect condition, or aid in recovery.
This Link May Contain Affiliate LInks
Have you ever looked at the ingredients on the back of a bottle of a sports drink? SCARY! Usually there are a plethora of ingredients, many of which the names are virtually impossible to pronounce! Included in the ingredients are often high amounts of sugars, synthetic colors, and other synthetic chemicals. I am not OK with ingesting these things. After a workout, I like to replenish my body with natural and organic materials that it lost. I am not interested in adding unnatural things to my body. Doesn’t this seem counterintuitive to wanting to workout and get healthy in the first place?
Making your own DIY Natural “Gatorade” Electrolyte Sports Drink is really simple to do. You can tailor it to your liking by making it the flavor you enjoy. The basics of the recipe are including electrolytes and salts, the compounds you loose when sweating throughout a workout.
Here’s what you need (12 ozs) :
- 1 cup 100% organic juice of your choice (I like to use pomegranate/ cherry)
- 1 cup of organic coconut water
- 1 teaspoon of honey or pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Here’s why this stuff works:
- Juice, especially a pomegranate/cherry blend, replenish essential vitamin and nutrient levels to your body after depleting them from a workout. Pomegranate cherry juice add a high concentration of antioxidants that help to block free radicals that can be damaging to the body. Juice also provides natural sugars for the body to burn as energy.
- Organic coconut water is high in antioxidants and help prevent dehydration during and after a workout. It is also rich in B vitamins, natural salts, and other nutrients that support replenishment after exercise.
- Honey or Maple Syrup added to this sports drink are natural sugars that help fuel the body as energy.
- Sea salt is a natural form of salt that when added to this sports drink, replenishes the salt lost by the body while sweating. A balanced sodium level is needed to help make your blood bring nutrients and hydration around the body when exerting yourself.
Here’s what you do:
- Combine all ingredients into a bottle.
- Shake well.
- ENJOY!!!! Hydrate and replenish!
You may also like: